Send your news stories and photos for publishing in the News section email@example.com. To keep the website looking fresh, I need in excess of 300 news stories each year so all reasonable contributions will be used.
Author: Gary Bainbridge | Date: 08-04-2011
The Regional Commissioner is pleased to announce that Charles Bow has been appointed as District Commissioner for Clydesdale District with effect from today.
Charles has a vast experience of working to support Scouting at District and Area level having previously held appointments as District Secretary and Area Secretary, Treasurer then Chairman.
Charles is also currently vice-Chairman of Clyde Region and Chairman of the Region's Development Project Management Group.
Commenting on the appointment, Stuart said, 'I am sure that Charles' experience of supporting Scouting at an Executive level will enable him to build a strong District Team to support the development of Scouting in Clydesdale and I am delighted that he has agreed to take on this important role.'
Author: Gary Bainbridge | Date: 07-04-2011
Scouting relies on the time and effort of volunteers across Clyde Region to ensure that our adventure based programme is enjoyed by more than 5,500 young people.
Each year, Scouting takes the opportunity to recognise the exceptional people, whose extraordinary commitment and dedication to young people, helps Scouting reach out to our local communities.
We were pleased to learn that the Chief Scout has made St. George's Day Awards to 15 adults from across Clyde Region.
The Silver Wolf - given in recognition of services to Scouting of the most exceptional nature. The Silver Wolf was introduced by Lord Baden-Powell and remains the Scout Association's highest award.
- Duncan Black has been a volunteer for more than 40 years, holding a variety of roles at Group and District level. Duncan is currently Group Treasurer at the 3rd Glasgow Scout Group.
- Gordon Ross has been a volunteer for more than 50 years, starting off working with the Scout Section then becoming Group Scout Leader. Gordon is currently a Unit Assistant with the 77th Glasgow Explorer Scouts and a Canoeing Assessor.
- Sinclair Scott first volunteered for Scouting nearly 45 years ago and has dedicated much of his time to the 1st Douglas Scout Group where he is Scout Leader. In addition to his Group role, Sinclair is the Region's Special Needs Adviser and is also an Honorary vice-President of Clyde Region, representing the Presbytery of Lanark.
Bar to the Silver Acorn - given in recognition of further specially distinguished service. The Bar to the Silver Acorn is seldom awarded for less than 25 years' service.
- Carslaw Purdie has held a variety of appointments in Scouting at Group, District and Area level since he first volunteered as an adult more than 30 years ago. Carslaw is currently District Commissioner for South East District.
The Silver Acorn - given in recognition of specially distinguished service. The Silver Acorn was first introduced in 1933 and is seldom awarded for less than 20 years' service.
- Charles Bow has provided vital support to Scouting in a variety of office bearer roles at District, Area and Regional levels since he first volunteered as an adult in Scouting more than 20 years go. Charles is currently Clyde Region's vice-Chairman, Chairman of our Development Project Management Group and District Secretary for Clydesdale District.
- Maralyn Carruthers has provided administrative and fundraising support to Scouting for more than 30 years. Maralyn is currently Group Secretary at the 78th Lanarkshire Scout Group.
- Richard Cuthbert has been involved in Scouting as an adult volunteer for more than 30 years. Richard was responsible for supporting the amalgamation of the finances for Lanarkshire and Greater Glasgow Area's and is currently the Regional Treasurer.
- Malcolm Gillies has been a Scouting volunteer for more than 30 years at Group and Area level, holding a variety of appointments working to support young people with special needs to access Scouting.
- Ken Gray joined Scouting as a volunteer more than 40 years ago. For the last 15 years, he has been part of the summer camp team for the 77th Glasgow Scout Group.
- Hugh Macpherson has given more than 25 years' service to Scouting providing vital support in looking after property and finance as Group Chairman and now a member of the Group Executive Committee at the 3rd Glasgow Scout Group.
- William Morrison has been a volunteer with Scouting in Lanarkshire for more than 40 years. William is currently an Assistant Cub Scout Leader with the 3rd Shotts Scout Group.
- Frank Parkinson has been associated with the 77th Glasgow Scout Group for 42 years as part of their summer camp team and has held a variety of other supporting roles for Scouting with the disabled.
- Andrew Sharkey has held roles at Group, District, Area, Region and National levels since he first volunteered for Scouting more than 20 years ago. Andrew is currently Group Scout Leader at the rapidly growing 2nd Lanark Scout Group, Camp Chief for Blair Atholl and a member of the Region's Training Team.
- Charlie Stewart first volunteered with the 77th Glasgow more than 25 years ago as Venture Scout Leader and is currently the Group Treasurer.
- Gillian Stuart has worked with both Beavers and Cubs since she started as a Scouting volunteer more than 25 years ago. Gillian is currently Group Scout Leader at the 121st Glasgow Scout Group.
Commenting on the news of the Awards, our Regional Commissioner, Stuart Imrie said, 'I am delighted that the tremendous effort of so many of our volunteers has been recognised. Congratulations to them all and my humblest thanks for all that they do for Scouting.'
If you know of an adult in Scouting whose contribution should be recognised by the award of a Good Service Award, please contact your District Commissioner or Gary Bainbridge in the Regional Office.
Author: Gary Bainbridge | Date: 06-04-2011
Scouting across Clyde Region relies upon the good will of volunteers to deliver and support our programme of adventure for young people.
We are pleased that the Chief Scout has recognised the contributions of the following volunteers:
- Anita Bremner is currently an Assistant Scout Leader at the 50th Glasgow and is a Training Adviser helping to support new leaders through their training. For her contribution of more than 12 years, Anita has been awarded the Award for Merit.
- Anne Law is currently District Commissioner for Great Western District. Anne has been involved with Scouting in Clyde Region for nearly 20 years having previously held the roles of Assistant Cub Scout Leader, Cub Scout Leader, Local Training Manager and Deputy District Commissioner. For her contribution to Scouting, the Chief Scout has award Anne the Award for Merit.
- Brian MacMillan is an Assistant Scout Leader at the 198th Glasgow and is also actively involved in supporting the leaders at the 50th Glasgow Scout Group. Brian has worked with Cubs, Scouts, Venture Scouts and Explorer Scouts over the last 12 years and for his outstanding service, the Chief Scout has awarded him the Award for Merit.
- Sandra Veitch has held a variety of roles in Scouting, working with disabled young people, supporting the training of new volunteers and she is currently District Commissioner for South Western District where she leads the support for local Groups in one of our Districts. For her contribution to Scouting, over the last 17 years, the Chief Scout has awarded Sandra the Award for Merit.