Avondyke Scout Training Centre
Avondyke is situated just outside Stonehouse in the heart of South Lanarkshire.
It is available for use for greenfield camping or day visits by local Scout Groups and is ideal for those looking to run a self-programming camp and enjoy some traditional Scouting skills.
- To use our campsite, you must have a greenfield nights away permit for staying overnight. This is your responsibility and please remember to submit your nights away notification to your District Commissioner.
- We enjoy a good working relationship with our neighbours so please respect their property when using our campsite.
- Any accidents or incidents must be reported to the Regional Office ASAP after your event.
- Please also remember that if the accident involves young people being treated by a doctor, dentist or taken to Hospital, even after your visit, you must also report this to Unity, via the Information Centre at UKHQ on 0345 300 1818.
- There is no rubbish collection service from the site so please ensure that you take bin bags with you and take all of your rubbish away from the site. Please do not use our neighbours bins.
- There are no toilet or water facilities available so please ensure you provide for some basic hygiene standards to be met, e.g. antibacterial gel for young people and adults.
- Ensure that any fires lit are properly extinguished at the end of your visit.
- In the event of a fire please immediately escort the group to a safe area of the car park, carry out a roll call/head count and alert the emergency services ASAP.
- Ensure that your young people do not cross any fences that don't have a stile. These are there either to mark out our boundaries or to keep them away from hazards.
- All groups must have immediate access to someone who has a current first aid qualification, minimum First Response. The level of first aid competence required for each event will be determined by the event risk assessment.
- The site must be left in the condition it is found.
Getting to Avondyke
Address: Avondyke Scout Campsite, 100 Sidehead Road, Stonehouse, ML9 3PD
OS Grid reference: NS 75365 44004
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/SUDkT5maFBzbRxKGA
Avondyke has a small car park. This should be used for drop off/pick ups and leaders vehicles.
The car park should be supervised during drop off/pick up times
Please make sure that young people are not using the car park as a play or activity area.
It is your responsibility to make sure that Risk assessments are completed for your activities/camping.
The campsite has uneven ground so please bear this in mind.
Scout Adventures have produced some excellent guidance on the running of campfires, use of knives, axes and saws and fires here.
There is a risk assessment template tool and other useful safety advice available online - please ensure that you have completed risk assessments for your activities.
Remember to brief your young people on the dangers of eating flora and fauna that may appear to look like fruits or vegetables but could be dangerous and ensure that their hands are cleaned with antibacterial gel at the end of their visit.